Saturday, March 1, 2008

Geo's Post #4

“How does the implementation of the design elements or pending implementation of design elements affect your work?” As an Uber crew member, this design is very conducive to the role that I play. I am one of the people responsible for moving the set pieces. And how I move them will affect the productivity of the show as a whole. So, I had to visit the set often in the shop while it was being built. I had to see how big it was and how fast I could move the pieces without it being dangerous. Another factor that played to this was the costume. The costume is always a challenge, especially the shoes. These things determine the way that you will ultimately move on stage. I do feel the worst for the girls. I couldn’t begin to imagine walking in heels and even breathing at the same time! On top of that, doing the other stage business. But, on a more character development side…it could be very helpful or not so wanted…
I remember doing a Footloose a couple of years ago. I played the leading character’s( Ren) uncle Wes. Now, in the script, there isn’t a specific reference to where this man works. So, I made that up for myself. Me thinking outside the box, decided that since I( a black male) was playing a character who lived in a small town(let’s be honest—there weren’t too many black people in this small town) should have a top notch job. So, Mr. Wes Warnicker was to be a consultant at some firm. When our design presentations were given, there was nothing that disagreed with that. Our costume designer came to the presentation with a collage of 80’s clothing from magazines. No specific costume for anyone. Then there was the actual fitting. I went into the room and there was a custodial jumper waiting for me with my name on it! Now, don’t get me wrong…there isn’t a thing wrong with being a custodian! But, there is something to be said when you’re doing a show like Footloose, that centers around a small town in Hickville, USA and the only black character just happens to be a custodian. Let’s just say that that changed a lot for the character I was building.

No comments: